ENERGY STAR® Commercial Building Benchmarking
An ENERGY STAR plaque represents your company's success in taking steps to improve the performance and efficiency of your building. kW Engineering helps clients qualify for ENERGY STAR certification.
Our Services include any of the following and can be tailored to meet your needs:
- ENERGY STAR account set up
- Automated Benchmark Service set up
- ENERGY STAR application review and verification by a certified, Professional Engineer (P.E.) - as required by the EPA
- Submission of documentation (with P.E. stamp) to the EPA
To request an estimated quote for services, just complete our brief ENERGY STAR Service Request.
Easy 1-2-3 Process
The EPA ENERGY STAR building benchmarking program is a simple, quick, and inexpensive way to compare your building's energy use to similar facilities operating in the same climate. We can help you:
- Create an ENERGY STAR account on the EPA Portfolio Manager website.
- Enter information about the building's size (square footage), operating schedule, and other parameters.
- Enter information about the building's monthly energy consumption.
- Survey data show that ENERGY STAR buildings carry a sales price premium of about 2% over their non-rated counterparts.
Once this information is complete, Portfolio Manager will calculate an ENERGY STAR score to determine your facility's energy performance based on a scale between 0 and 100. If your building has a score above 75, you are eligible for an ENERGY STAR plaque that serves as recognition of your building's high energy performance.
Earn the ENERGY STAR
Before you are eligible to receive a plaque, an inspection of the facility is required by the EPA. This inspection must be conducted by a third party, under the supervision of a professional engineer. During the inspection the engineer confirms that mandatory ventilation standards are met, and that the online Portfolio Manager application matches the building's actual conditions. Once the inspection is complete and the mandatory program requirements are met, the engineer submits a Statement of Energy Performance form to the EPA, and soon after, you receive your plaque.
Benefits of ENERGY STAR Benchmarking
Portfolio Manager allows Energy Managers and Chief Engineers to track month-to-month and year-to-year energy performance. Beyond benchmarking for ENERGY STAR certification, these online accounts can be used for:
- Forecasting energy use in anticipation of added occupancy, computers, and other variables
- Discovering high level maintenance issues that lead to wasted energy
- Comparing energy performance with "peer" buildings
- Compliance with California AB 1103. This legislation is now expected to take effect July 1, 2012 (see http://www.energy.ca.gov/ab1103) and requires property owners to disclose building energy performance using the Portfolio Manager website when the building is sold, leased or financed.
For buildings seeking LEED accreditation, setting up an ENERGY STAR account may be the quickest way to achieve LEED points. Depending on the ENERGY STAR score, buildings may be eligible for up to 18 points under Energy and Atmosphere Credit 1.
- Compilation and review of utility data
- Review and verification of ENERGY STAR application by a P.E. (required by EPA)
- An assessment of the facilities indoor air quality and lighting levels
- Submission of documentation with P.E. stamp to the EPA
Ready? Request a quote >>